Ana Paula Alonso, PhD. obtained her B.S., M.S., and Ph.D in Biological and Medical Sciences from the Université Victor Segalen in Bordeaux, France. After four years of postdoctoral training in seed metabolism (Michigan State University), and microbial metabolism (Institut National des Sciences Appliquées, Toulouse, France), she joined the Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center in 2008 as a Visiting Assistant Professor to work in the exciting field of biofuel research. In 2010, Dr. Alonso accepted a position as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Genetics at The Ohio State University where she was the Director of the Targeted Metabolomics Laboratory; she was promoted to Associate Professor in 2016. Dr. Alonso joined the BioDiscovery Institute at the University of North Texas in 2018; she is Associate Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- Regulation of carbon partitioning through plant central metabolism
- Production of valuable plant storage compounds, such as sugars, proteins, starch, oils, and cellulose
- Enhancing the flow of carbon towards the production of unusual fatty acids - for biofuel and industrial applications - by metabolic engineering
- Understanding the effect of biotic and abiotic stresses on plant metabolism
- Approaches: Metabolomics and 13C-based Metabolic Flux Analysis (aka fluxomics)
- DOE-BER DE-SC0019233 Alonso (PI) 09/01/18 - 08/31/20, Role: PI Development of Resources and Tools to Improve Oil Content and Quality in Pennycress
- USDA-NIFA 2016-67013-24605 Alonso (PI) 12/15/15 - 12/14/18 Role: PI Systems Approach to Understanding and Improving Industrial Oil Biosynthesis in an Emerging Crop Physaria fendleri
- NSF-DoB 1638999 Slot (PI) 09/01/16 - 08/31/21 Role: Co-PI Collaborative Research : Dimensions : Secondary Metabolites as Drivers of Fungal Endophyte Community Diversity
- DOE-BER DE-SC0020325 Alonso (PI) 09/15/19 - 09/14/22, Role: PI Functional Analysis of Candidate Genes Involved in Oil Storage and Stability in Pennycress
- United Soybean Board 2020-162-0123 McHale (PI) 10/01/19 - 09/30/20, Role: Co-PI Towards the Development of High-Yielding Cultivars & Germplasm with Optimum Oil and Protein Content and Innovative Oil Attributes for the Current Market
PAST TEN YEARS
- Cocuron J.C, Koubaa M, Kimmelfield R, Ross Z, Alonso A.P (2019) A combined metabolomics and fluxomics analysis identifies steps limiting oil synthesis in maize embryos. Plant Physiol. (in press)
- Huseby C.J, Hoffman C.N, Cooper G.L, Cocuron J.C, Alonso A.P, Thomas S.N, Yang A.J, Kuret J. (2019) Quantification of Tau protein lysine methylation in aging and Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. (PMID: 31450505, in press)
- Gentzel I.N, Giese L, Zhao W, Alonso A.P, Mackey D.M (2019) A simple method for measuring apoplast hydration and collecting apoplast. Plant Physiol. 179, 1265-1272
- Cocuron J.C, Casas M.I, Yang F, Grotewold E, Alonso A.P (2019) Beyond the wall: High-throughput quantification of plant soluble and cell-wall bound phenolics by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 1589, 93-104.
- Cooper G.L, Huseby C.J, Chandler C.N, Cocuron J-C, Alonso A.P, Kuret J (2018) A liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry approach for quantification of protein methylation stoichiometry. Anal Biochem. 545, 72-77.
- Santosh D, Balasubramaniam V.M, Cocuron J-C, Alonso A.P, Egcam E., Kamat S. (2017) Pressure-thermal kinetics of furan formation in selected fruit and vegetable juices. Food and Bioprocess Technology 10(11), 1959-1969.
- McClure T, Cocuron J-C, Osmark V, McHale L, Alonso A.P (2017) Impact of environment on the biomass composition of soybean (Glycine max) seeds. J Agric Food Chem 65(32), 6753-6761.
- Corkins M.E, Wilson S, Cocuron J-C, Alonso A.P, Bird A.J. (2017) The gluconate shunt is an alternative route for directing glucose into pentose phosphate pathway in fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 292(33), 13823-13832.
- Casas M.I, Vaughan MJ, Bonello P, McSpadden-Gardener B, Grotewold E, Alonso A.P. (2017) Identification of biochemical features of defective Coffea arabica L. beans. Food Res Int. 95, 59-67.
- Cocuron J-C, Tsogtbaatar E, Alonso A.P. (2017) High-throughput quantification of the levels and labeling abundance of free amino acids by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 1490, 148-155.
- Horn P.J, Liu J, Cocuron J.C, McGlew K, Thrower N.A, Larson M, Lu C, Alonso A.P, Ohlrogge J (2016) Identification of multiple lipid genes with modifications in expression and sequence associated with the volution of hydroxyl fatty acid accumulation in Physaria fendleri. Plant J. 86(4), 322-348.
- de Souza A.P, Cocuron J-C, Garcia A.C, Alonso A.P*, Buckeridge M*(2015) Changes in whole-plant metabolism during grain-filling stage in Sorghum bicolor L. (Moench) grown under elevated CO2 and drought. Plant Physiol. 69(3), 1755-1765. (* co-corresponding authors)
- Tsogtbaatar E, Cocuron J-C, Corchado Sonera M, Alonso A.P (2015) Metabolite fingerprinting of pennycress (Thlaspi arvense L.) embryos to assess active pathways during oil synthesis. J Exp Bot. 66(14), 4267-4277.
- Cocuron J-C and Alonso A.P (2014) Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry for measuring 13C-labeling in intermediates of the glycolysis and pentose-phosphate pathway. Methods in Molecular Biology. 1090, 131-142.
- Cocuron J-C, Anderson B, Boyd A, Alonso A.P (2014) Targeted metabolomics of Physaria fendleri, an industrial crop producing hydroxy fatty acids. Plant & Cell Physiol., 55(3), 620-33.
- Dieuaide-Noubhani M and Alonso A.P (2014) Application of metabolic flux analysis to plants. Methods in Molecular Biology. 1090, 1-17.
- Koubaa M, Cocuron J.C, Thomasset B, Alonso A.P. (2013) Highlighting the tricarboxylic acid cycle: liquid and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analyses of 13C labeled organic acids. Analytical Biochemistry, 436(2), 151-159.
- Chen X, Alonso A.P, Shachar-Hill Y. (2013) Dynamic metabolic flux analysis of plant cell wall synthesis. Metab Eng., 18, 78-85.
- Wang Y, Alonso A.P, Wilkerson C.G, Keegstra K. (2012) Deep EST profiling of developing fenugreek endosperm to investigate galactomannan biosynthesis and its regulation. Plant Mol Biol 79(3), 243-258.
- Chen X, Alonso A.P, Allen D.K, Reed J.L and Shachar-Hill Y. (2011) Synergy between 13C-Metabolic Flux Analysis and Flux Balance Analysis for understanding metabolic adaption to anaerobiosis in E. coli. Metab Eng. 13(1), 38-48.
- Alonso A.P*, Val D and Shachar-Hill Y. (2011) Central metabolic fluxes in the endosperm of developing maize seeds and their implications for metabolic engineering. Metab Eng., 13(1), 96-107. (* corresponding author)
- Alonso A.P*, Piasecki B, Wang Y, LaClair R and Shachar-Hill Y. (2010) Quantifying the labeling and the levels of plant cell wall precursors using ion chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. Plant Physiol. 153, 915-924. (* corresponding author)
- Alonso A.P*, Val D and Shachar-Hill Y. (2010) Understanding fatty acid synthesis in developing maize embryos using metabolic flux analysis. Metab Eng. 12, 488-497. (* corresponding author)