THE BIODISCOVERY INSTITUTE (BDI) has been established as an Institute of Research Excellence at the University of North Texas. This is in recognition of the university's strong and growing biobased products program. The Institute will support the university on its path toward national prominence.
THE BDI IS A WORLD LEADER in understanding the molecular processes to provide bio-based solutions for a sustainable future and will:
- Develop a range of sustainable bio-based platforms for:
- Food and feed
- Novel fibers, polymers and composite materials
- Oils, chemical feedstocks and biofuels
- Bioactive natural products
- Increase interdisciplinary cooperation between biologists, chemists, and computational and materials scientists
- Develop a path to market through commercial partnerships
- Train the next generation of scientists and professionals
THE MISSION OF BDI is to leverage existing UNT strengths while identifying opportunities to play a national and international leadership role in the basic understanding of plant and microbial processes and materials for the development of a sustainable and environmentally friendly bio-based economy.
Areas of Expertise:
- Biobased Materials
- Bio Active Small Molecules
- Mass Spectrometry
- Plant Metabolic Engineering