Dr. Brian Meckes is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of North Texas. His research group focuses on the application and development of nanopatterning for controlling cell behavior and nanoparticles for therapeutic delivery. Dr. Meckes holds a B.S. in Bioengineering from Rice University and a Ph.D. in Bioengineering from the University of California, San Diego, where he was a recipient of an NIH Ruth Kirschstein Predoctoral F31 Fellowship. Dr. Meckes completed his postdoctoral training at Northwestern University where he was an International Institute for Nanotechnology and the Eden and Steven Romick Postdoctoral Fellow. Recently, he has been recognized with a Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award from the Oak Ridge Associated Universities. His current research projects are supported by the NIGMS and USDA.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
Dr. Meckes' lab focuses on applying lithographic approaches to control cellular interactions and the development of nanotherapeutics to regulate pathological functions.
3D printing of tissue structures with single cell precision
Targeting nanotherapeutics through glycocalyx interactions
Development of "green" nano-pesticides
CURRENT GRANT-FUNDED PROJECTS
Meckes, B., "Modulating 3D Cellular Connectivity Via Spatially-Controlled Programmable Bonding," Sponsored by NIH/NIGMS, Federal, $383151 Funded. (September 1, 2021 - August 31, 2023).
Meckes, B. (Principal), "Ralph Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement," Sponsored by ORAU, Private, $10000 Funded. (June 1, 2021 - May 31, 2022).
Meckes, B. (Co-Principal), Shah, J. (Co-Principal), Scofield (Principal) "RNA-Interference Targeting of Fungal Genes for Enhancing FHB Resistance," Sponsored by USDA-ARS, Federal, $41194 Funded. (June 1, 2021 - May 31, 2022).
Meckes, B. (Co-Principal), Shah, J. (Co-Principal), "Plant Exosome Mimics for Gene Regulation in Fungal Species Affecting Crops," Sponsored by COS-CENG, University of North Texas, $10000 Funded. (June 16, 2021 - March 15, 2021).
RECENT SIGNIFICANT PUBLICATIONS
* Denotes Equal Contribution
- Hwang, M.T.,* Landon, P.B.,* Mo, A.H., Lee, J., Meckes, B., Glinsky, G.V., Lal, R. (2016). Reusable DNA Nano-Carrier for Capture and Release of Biomolecules. Nanoscale, 7(41), 17397-17403
- Banga, R.J., Meckes, B., Narayan, S.P., Sprangers, A.J., Nguyen, S.T., Mirkin, C.A. (2017). Cross-linked Micellar Spherical Nucleic Acids from Thermoresponsive Templates. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 139 (12), 4278-4281
- Du, J.S.,* Chen, P-C.,* Meckes, B., Xie, Z., Zhu, J., Liu, Y., Dravid, V.P., Mirkin, C.A. (2017) The Structural Fate of Individual Multicomponent Metal-Oxide Nanoparticles in Polymer Nanoreactors. Angewendte Chemie International Edition, 56 (26), 7625-7629
- Xie, Z.,* Gordiichuck, P.,* Lin, Q-Y., Meckes, B., Chen, P-C., Sun, L., Du, J.S., Zhu, J., Liu, Y., Dravid, V.P., Mirkin, C.A. (2017) Solution-Phase Photochemical Nanopatterning Enabled by High-Refractive-Index Beam Pen Arrays. ACS Nano, 1 (8), 8231-8241
- Chen, P-C., Du, J.S., Meckes, B., Huang, L., Xie, Z., Hedrick, J., Dravid, V.P., Mirkin, C.A. (2017) The Structural Evolution of Three-Component Nanoparticles in Polymer Nanoreactors. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139 (29), 9876-9884
- Meckes, B.,* Banga, R.J.,* Nguyen, S.T., Mirkin, C.A. (2018) Enhancing the Stability and Immunomodulatory Activity of Liposomal Spherical Nucleic Acids through Lipid-tail DNA Modifications. Small, 14 (5), 1702909
- Du, J.S., Chen, P-C., Meckes, B., Kluender, E.J., Xie, Z., Dravid, V.P., Mirkin, C.A. (2018) Evaporation-Induced Coarsening of Ultrafine Au-Pt Nanoparticles in Polymer Nanoreactors. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 140 (23), 7213-7221
- Kluender, E.J.,* Hedrick, J.L.,* Brown, K.A., Rao, R.S., Meckes, B., Du, J.S., Moreau, L.M., Maruyama, B., and Mirkin, C.A. Catalyst Discovery Through Mega-Libraries of Nanomaterials. (2019) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 116 (1), 40-45
- Chen, P-C.,* Liu, M.,* Du, J.S., Meckes, B., Wang, S., Lin, H., Wolverton, C., Dravid, V.P., Mirkin, C.A. Configuration of phase boundaries in multi-phase hybrid nanoparticles. (2019) Science 363 (6430), 959-964
- Cabezas, M.C.,* Meckes, B.,* Mirkin, C.A., Mrksich, M. Subcellular Control Over Actin Stress Fiber Formation, Independent of Cell Morphology, Dictates Stem Cell Fate. (2019) ACS Nano 13 (10), 11144-11152
- Zhang, W.,* Meckes, B.,* Mirkin, C.A. Spherical Nucleic Acids with Tailored and Active Protein Coronae. (2019) ACS Central Sciences 5 (12), 1983-1990.
- Chen, P-C., Liu, Y., Du, J.S., Meckes, B., Dravid, V.P., Mirkin, C.A. Chain-End Functionalized Polymers for the Controlled Synthesis of Sub-2 nm Particles. (2020) Journal of the American Chemical Society 142 (16), 7350-7355
- Ponedal, A., Sheshuang, Z., Sprangers, A.J., Wang, X.-Q., Yeo, D.C., Lio, D.C.S., Zheng, M., Capek, M., Narayan, S., Meckes, B., Paller, A.S., Xu, C., Mirkin, C.A. Attenuation of Abnormal Scarring Using Spherical Nucleic Acids Targeting Transforming Growth Factor Beta 1. (2020) ACS Appl. Bio Mater. DOI: 10.1021/acsabm.0c00990
PATENTS (1 GRANTED-3 PENDING)
Lal, R., Hwang, M.T., Landon, P.B., Glinskii, G., Mo, A., Ramachandran, S., Lee, J., Meckes, B. (2020) Nano-sensors for Nucleic Acid Detection and Discrimination. Granted: US10793898
Mirkin, C.A., Zhang, W., Meckes, B. (2019) Spherical nucleic acids with tailored and active protein coronae. US/PCT/ 62/903,223; Pending
Mirkin, C.A., Mrksich, M., Cabezas, M.D., Meckes, B. (2019) Nanopatterning for Controlling Cell Cytoskeleton. WO2019168980A1; Pending
Mirkin, C.A., Meckes, B., Zhang, W. (2018) Spherical Nucleic Acids (SNAs) with Sheddable PEG Layers. WO2019070890A; Pending