Jean-Christophe Cocuron received his B.S in Cell Biology and Physiology with a specialization in Plant Biotechnology in 2001 from the Université Victor Segalen (Bordeaux, France). After spending two years in the private industry, he joined the group of Ken Keegstra and Curtis Wilkerson at Michigan State University as visiting scholar to work on plant cell wall, and specifically on xyloglucan. One of his major achievement was the discovery and the characterization of a xyloglucan glucan synthase encoded by a cellulose synthase like (Csl) C gene. In 2009, he moved to the Shachar-Hill's laboratory at Michigan State University as research assistant II, where he was involved in a project aiming to increase oil content in Camelina sativa. In 2010, he accepted a Research Associate 2 position at The Ohio State University where he set up and managed a new mass spectrometry facility (Targeted Metabolomics Laboratory), contributed to the study of plant oil synthesis in the Alonso laboratory, and developed several high-throughput analytical methods. In January 2018, he joined the BioDiscovery Institute as a Research Scientist where he is managing the metabolomics and lipidomics platform (BioAnalytical Facility, BAF)
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Metabolomics using liquid and gas chromatography techniques coupled to mass spectrometry
- Development of analytical tools to separate and quantify biomolecules
- Establishment of a workflow to profile lipids in biological samples
- Monitoring stable isotope labeling in intermediary metabolites by mass spectrometry
- Analysis of compounds from diverse origin (animal, plant, microbial, food, and environmental samples)
RECENT SIGNIFICANT PUBLICATIONS
- Cooper G.L, Huseby C.J, Chandler C.N, Cocuron J-C, Alonso A.P, Kuret J (2018) A liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry approach for quantification of protein methylation stoichiometry. Anal Biochem. 545, 72-77.
- Santosh D, Balasubramaniam V.M, Cocuron J-C, Alonso A.P, Egcam E., Kamat S. (2017) Pressure-thermal kinetics of furan formation in selected fruit and vegetable juices. Food and Bioprocess Technology. 10(11), 1959-1969.
- McClure T, Cocuron J-C, Osmark V, McHale L, Alonso A.P. (2017) Impact of environment on the biomass composition of soybean (Glycine max) seeds. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 65(32), 6753-6761.
- Corkins M.E, Wilson S, Cocuron J-C, Alonso A.P, Bird A.J. (2017) The gluconate shunt is an alternative route for directing glucose into pentose phosphate pathway in fission yeast. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 292(33), 13823-13832.
- Cocuron J-C, Tsogtbaatar E, Alonso A.P. (2017) High-throughput quantification of the levels and labeling abundance of free amino acids by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 1490, 148-155.
- Horn P.J, Liu J, Cocuron J.C, McGlew K, Thrower N.A, Larson M, Lu C, Alonso A.P, Ohlrogge J (2016) Identification of multiple lipid genes with modifications in expression and sequence associated with the volution of hydroxyl fatty acid accumulation in Physaria fendleri. Plant J. 86(4), 322-348.
- de Souza A.P, Cocuron J-C, Garcia A.C, Alonso A.P, Buckeridge M (2015) Changes in whole-plant metabolism during grain-filling stage in Sorghum bicolor L. (Moench) grown under elevated CO2 and drought. Plant Physiol. 69(3), 1755-1765.
- Tsogtbaatar E, Cocuron J-C, Corchado Sonera M, Alonso A.P (2015) Metabolite fingerprinting of pennycress (Thlaspi arvense L.) embryos to assess active pathways during oil synthesis. J Exp Bot. 66(14), 4267-4277.
- Cocuron J-C, Anderson B, Boyd A, Alonso A.P (2014) Targeted metabolomics of Physaria fendleri, an industrial crop producing hydroxy fatty acids. Plant & Cell Physiol., 55(3), 620-33.
- Cocuron J-C and Alonso A.P (2014) Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry for measuring 13C-labeling in intermediates of the glycolysis and pentose-phosphate pathway. Methods in Molecular Biology. 1090, 131-142.
- Koubaa M, Cocuron J-C, Alonso A.P. (2013) Highlighting the tricarboxylic acid cycle: liquid and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analyses of 13C labeled organic acids. Analytical Biochemistry, 436(2) 151-159.
- Jensen J.K, Kim H, Cocuron J-C, Orler R, Ralph J, Wilkerson C.G (2011). The DUF579 domain containing proteins IRX15 and IRX15-L affect xylan synthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 66(3):387-400.
- Cocuron J-C, Lerouxel O, Drakakaki G, Alonso A.P, Liepman, A.H, Keegstra K, Raikhel N and Wilkerson C.G (2007). A gene from the cellulose synthase-like C family encodes a beta-1,4 glucan synthase. Proc Natl Acad Sci 104(20), 8550-5.