Dr. Diana Berman received her Ph.D. degree in Physics from North Carolina State University in 2012. After graduating, she worked as a PostDoctoral Researcher in Argonne National Laboratory, at the Center for Nanoscale Materials. In 2016, she joined the University of North Texas as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. Her research focuses on understanding fundamental aspects of friction, wear, and lubrication of materials with a larger vision of how this knowledge can be applied in practice. She has published more than 70 papers in peer-reviewed journals and 2 book chapters. She also holds more than 10 patents (both US and International). Among her awards are TechConnect Innovation Awards, Ralph E Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award, Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers Early Career Award, UNT Early Career Professorship Award, UNT Research and Innovation Award, and NSF Early Career Award.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Nanostructured materials
- Sensing devices
CURRENT GRANT-FUNDED PROJECTS
- National Science Foundation, CMMI, "CAREER: Manufacturing of Mechanically Stable Nanoporous Ceramic Structures Via Selective Infiltration of Polymer Templates", Amount: $500,000, 03/2021-02/2026, sole PI.
- Army Research Laboratory Amount: $ 1,250,000, 07/20-07/22, PI (Grant Portion: $500,000).
- National Science Foundation, CMMI, "Mechanically Driven Growth of Hydrocarbons at Sliding Interfaces to Control Degradation and Wear", Amount: $289,847, 07/2020-06/2023, sole PI.
RECENT SIGNIFICANT PUBLICATIONS
- A. Macknojia, A. Ayyagari, D. Zambrano, A. Rozenkranz, E.V. Shevchenko, D. Berman*: "Superlubricity Induced by MXene MoS2 Nanocomposites on Rough Steel Surfaces under High Contact", ACS Nano (2023) https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.2c09640 .
- K. Omotosho, J. Tran, E.V. Shevchenko, D. Berman*: "Polymer infiltration synthesis of inorganic nanoporous coatings: Does polymer template affect their properties?", Surf Coat Technol (2023) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2022.129107 .
- M. Marian, D. Berman*, D. Nečas, N. Emami, A. Ruggiero, A. Rosenkranz: "Roadmap for 2D materials in biotribological/biomedical applications - A review", Adv Coll Interf Science 307 (2022), 102747, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cis.2022.102747 .
- A. Shirani, Y. Li, J. Smith, J. F. Curry, P. Lu, M. Wilson, M. Chandross, N. Argibay, D. Berman*: "Mechanochemically Driven Formation of Protective Carbon Films from Ethanol Environment", Mat Today Chem 26 (2022), 101112, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtchem.2022.101112 .
- A. Ayyagari, I. Alam, D. Berman*, A. Erdemir: "Progress in Superlubricity Across Different Media and Material Systems - A Review", invited review article, Frontiers Mech Eng (2022), https://doi.org/10.3389/fmech.2022.908497 .
- D. Berman*, A. Erdemir: "Achieving Ultralow Friction and Wear by Tribocatalysis: Enabled by In-Operando Formation of Nanocarbon Films", invited review article, ACS Nano 15 (2021), 18865, https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.1c08170 .
- M. Marian, D. Berman*, A. Rota, R. Jackson, A. Rosenkranz: "Layered 2D Nanomaterials to Tailor Friction and Wear in Machine Elements--A Review", invited review article, Adv Mater Interf , 2101622 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1002/admi.202101622 .
- A. Shirani, Y. Li, O.L. Eryilmaz, D. Berman*: "Tribocatalytically-activated carbon-based tribofilm formation for wear reduction in alkane environment", Nat Sci Rep (2021), https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-888057/v1
- D. Pleshek, J. Tran, Y. Li, A. Shirani, E. Shevchenko, D. Berman*: "Swelling-assisted sequential infiltration synthesis of nanoporous ZnO films with highly accessible pores and their sensing potential for ethanol", ACS Appl Mater Interf 13, 35941 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.1c08225 .
- K. Gao, B. Wang, A. Shirani, Q. Chang, D. Berman*: "Macroscale superlubricity accomplished by Sb2O3-MSH/C under high temperature", Frontiers in Chemistry 9, 226 (2021), https://doi.org/10.3389/fchem.2021.667878 .
- D. Berman*, Y. Sha, E. Shevchenko: "Effect of Polymer Removal on the Morphology and Phase of the Nanoparticles in All-Inorganic Heterostructures Synthesized via Two-Step Polymer Infiltration", Molecules 26, 679 (2021), https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules26030679 .
- A. Shirani, J. Lee, D. Berman*: "Thermal stability and gas absorption characteristics of ionic liquid-based solid polymer electrolytes", J Chem Phys 154, 054902 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0037978 .
- K. Jacques, N. Murthy, S. Dixit, D. Berman*, S. Berkebile: Method for Tribological Experiment to Study Scuffing Initiation on AISI 52100 Steel and Hard Ceramic Coatings", Tribol Intern 160, 107001 (2021), https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.triboint.2021.107001 .
- B. Wang, K. Gao, Q. Chang, D. Berman, Y. Tian: "Magnesium Silicate Hydroxide-MoS2-Sb2O3 Coating Nanomaterials for High-Temperature Superlubricity", ACS Appl Nano Mater 4, 7097 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1021/acsanm.1c01104 .
- T. Chowdhury, N. D'Souza, D. Berman: "Electrospun Fe3O4-PVDF Nanofiber Composite Mats for Cryogenic Magnetic Sensor Applications", Textiles 1, 227-238 (2021), https://doi.org/10.3390/textiles1020011 .
- S. Bakkar, M. Wall, N. Ku, D. Berman, S. Aouadi, R. Brennan, M. Young: "Al/Al2O3 metal matrix composites produced using magnetic field-assisted freeze-casting of porous ceramic structures", J Mater Res 36, 2094 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1557/s43578-021-00159-9 .
- V. Safonov, D. Bas, D. Berman, Y. Rostovtsev, J. Roberts, M. McConney, M. Page: "Adaptation of Fluctuating Magnetoacoustic System to External Signals", IEEE Access 9 (2021), https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3085301 .
- J. Lee, V. Hasannaeimi, T. W. Scharf, D. Berman*: "Mechanical and chemical robustness of the aluminum oxide-infiltrated block copolymer films and the resulting aluminum oxide coatings", Surf Coat Technol 399, 126204 (2020), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2020.126204 .
- D. Berman*, E. Shevchenko: "Design of functional composite and all-inorganic nanostructured materials via infiltration of polymer templates with inorganic precursors", invited review article Journal of Mater Chem C 8, 10604 - 10627 (2020), https://doi.org/10.1039/D0TC00483A .
- A. Shirani, T. Joy, A. Rogov, M. Lin, A. Yerokhin, J.-E. Mogonye, A. Korenyi-Both, S. Aouadi, A. Voevodin, D. Berman*: "PEO-Chameleon as a potential protective coating on cast aluminum alloys for high-temperature applications", Surf Coat Technol 397, 126016 (2020), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2020.126016 .
- D. Berman, E. Shevchenko, S. Guha: "Porous inorganic films via polymer swelling infiltration", US 63/391,614 (2022)
- D. Berman, A. Shirani: "Coatings that reduce friction and wear", 63/434,211 (2022)
- D. Berman, A. Ayyagari, A. Macknojia: "Coatings that reduce friction and wear", 63/434,213 (2022)
- B. Narayanan, S. Sankaranarayanan, A.V. Sumant, M.J Cherukara, D. Berman: "Systems and methods for designing new materials for superlubricity", US 11,232,241 (granted 2022);
- A.V. Sumant, D. Berman, J. Choi, A. Erdemir: "Superlubricating Graphene and Graphene Oxide Films." US 11,230,681 (granted 2022);
- D. Berman, K. Chapman, E. Cahoon, T. Romsdahl "Liquid and Semisolid Lubricant Compositions, Methods of Making, and Uses Thereof" US 11,136,525 (granted 2021);
- D. Berman, E. Shevchenko, B. Diroll, M. Cargnello, E. Goodman: "Multicomponent Inorganic Porous Materials and Methods of Making the Same." US 11,123,713 B2 (granted 2021);
- D. Berman, D. Zhu, O. Shenderova: "Compositions and Uses of Nanoscale Diamond Particles for Artificial Joints." 17/015,246 (2021);
- D. Berman, K. Chapman, E. Cahoon, T. Romsdahl "Lubricant Compositions having enhanced Estolide Content, Methods of Making, and Uses Thereof." US 17/076,191 (2021);
- A.V. Sumant, D. Berman: "Graphene Layer Formation at Low Substrate Temperature on a Metal and Carbon Based Substrate." US 9,875,894 (granted 2020);
- D. Berman, J. Lee, V. Safonov, D. Zhu, M. Safonov: "Hydrogel-Based Biomedical Devices for Therapeutic Hydrogen Treatment of Skin and Tissues and Methods of Using Them." US 16/523,826 (2020);
- D. Berman, S. Guha, E. Shevchenko: "Low Refractive Index Surface Layers and Related Methods." US15/649,448 (2019);
- A.V. Sumant, D. Berman, A. Erdemir: "Low Friction Wear Resistant Graphene Films." US 9,561,526 (granted 2019).
- A.V. Sumant, D. Berman, J. Choi, A. Erdemir: "Superlubricating Graphene Films." US20140023864A1, WO2014015165A1 (2018)